Monday, May 4, 2009

Warning! This Post Contains Graphic Material...

I was just thinking to myself the other day that I needed to watch for an opportunity to post about Garrett. Everything I have shared lately has been about one of the girls and I didn't want him to feel left out! Well, I had no idea the lengths he would go to in order to give me something to write about.

Sunday evening we scheduled a photographer to come out to the farm to take family pictures for my mother-in-law, Deann, for Mother's Day. Not just of our immediate family, but with Damian's brother, his wife, Damian's sister and ALL the kiddos...12 kids in all! There is a cabin at the place we went for pictures, with a fusball table, among other things, in the garage. One of those other things happened to be a lawnmower, which Garrett fell on as the boys clambered over each other trying to run out the door. At first we couldn't tell where he was injured, except that he was crying and there was A LOT of blood. Did I mention he was wearing a white shirt??

We soon realized it was his cheek and that it warranted a trip to the ER for stitches...5 to be exact! While the nurses were writing the report, one of them asked the other how to spell cheek. The other nurse said c-h-e-e-k-e, to which Garrett replied, 'It's spelled c-h-e-e-k. It's one of my spelling words.' Needless to say his teacher is VERY proud!

Damian and I are very proud of him, as well, for his behavior at the hospital. He didn't whimper one time or shed one tear through the whole thing! I told him I never could have done that. I was so thankful that Damian was there, so I could step out while they stitched him up. I don't handle blood very well! When all was said and done, he hadn't even gotten one drop of blood on his jeans or his white shirt and believe me, if you had seen how bad it was, you would be amazed! He is such a good boy and growing up so fast!


He couldn't wait to go to school and show all his friends. He said most of his friends had already had gotten stitches before, so I guess he thinks it's pretty cool! I'm not sure I'll ever understand boys!

7 comments:

Christa said...

Oh no, poor Garrett!!! I hope his cheek will heal quickly.

Randa said...

Wow...what a story!! Glad to hear that he's okay and was so brave!! And nothing on the white shirt?!?! Hope he heals quickly!

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

Poor little guy...tell him I'll show Sarah when she gets home from school today....I lknow Luke really wanted to share his scar on his leg with all his friends too...it really is a boy thing. Sorry about the pictures..that always happens when you want to take pictures...glad he is ok though.

Nellie said...

Actually, we managed to get the whole group, all the grandkids and our immediate family taken before the accident. So, really we only missed my kids individually, which is okay. It was so terribly windy, though, that I'm not sure they will turn out. The weather has been nuts this Spring!

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

love your profile pic..your lookin good girl!

glad you got the pics taken!

Unknown said...

Garrett... you're one tough boy!!! Proud of ya!!! Momma... way to go... you handled it very well. :-)

Enjoy this beautiful day!!

Love you!
Heather

Farm Chick (at Heart) said...

Boys! They keep us on our toes! :)